Student/Farmworker Alliance (SFA), the student branch of the Alliance for Fair Food, launched an online fundraising campaign to make the2018 SFA Encuentro, an annual gathering of the students of the Fair Food Nation, the most powerful and accessible to date. Will you make a donation to sponsor the participation of one of over 80 young leaders in the Fair Food movement?
The Fair Food movement’s power comes from its breadth. Our vibrant, multi-generational, multi-cultural network unites the strength of students, faith communities, human rights organizations, labor groups, grassroots groups, and food justice organizations to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with CIW. We’ve been able to decisively change the purchasing practices of 14 multi-billion-dollar corporations to guarantee farmworkers’ human rights, by marshalling our respective constituencies and resources.
The SFA Steering Committee and staff have been working around the clock to design an unforgettable weekend for the 2018 SFA Encuentro: Hasta la Raíz (Down to the Root),with a focus on:
- Celebrating and learning from the CIW’s incredible 25-year history of fighting for dignity and respect in the fields;
- Crafting back-to-school escalation plans in the Wendy’s Boycott and the Boot the Braids campaign;
- Sustaining the future of SFA's organizing through skill-building workshops and tools for leadership development;
- Taking action together to inspire us to make change in our home communities, and;
- Building strength and solidarity across national grassroots movements.
Our goal is to raise $3,500 to offset the significant costs of putting together one of SFA’s biggest events of the year. A donation of $150 covers the cost of one student. Your donation will go a long way in supporting folks traveling hundreds of miles to join us in Immokalee. As always, we’re counting on the support of our Alliance for Fair Food community to help us make it all happen!
We never want to turn away students for reasons of cost. These are the remarkable young organizers that have tirelessly fought to bring the SFA network to this critical moment in the Wendy’s Boycott — including those working to cut contracts with on-campus Wendy’s restaurants and those who courageously fasted alongside farmworkers during the momentous Freedom Fast this past spring. Every contribution will bring us closer to making this Encuentro a reality.